Santa Barbara rolls
This is a fantastic make ahead meal/appetizer. In fact, this is way better on day two than if you make and serve right away. Best part, in the documenting of this recipe, we came up with a relatively carb free version that was awesome!!!
Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
Quantity: 4 servings
1 lbs boneless, skinless chicken tenders
1/4 Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tbsp Lime Juice
1 Tbsp Hot Sauce
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
1/2 Tbsp Chipotle Powder
1/2 Tbsp Pepper
1/2 Tbsp Salt
For the Chicken
For the Rolls
2 Medium, Ripe Avocados diced
3 Roma Tomatoes diced
1/4 Medium Red Onion diced
1 Bunch Baby Spinach leaves trimmed
1 Jalepeno diced (optional)
4 Tbsp Cream Cheese softned
4 Large Tortillas (burrito size)
1. Combine all the ingredients for the chicken in a Ziploc bag and massage in to chicken. Set bag with chicken in the
refrigerator for at least an hour to marinate.
2. After marinating is complete, grill the chicken till cooked through (about 4 minutes per side for chicken tenders, 6 for chicken
breasts). In the summer I will always be outside at the grill but in the winter I have been known to break out the George
Foreman Grill for this task, works great.
3. While chicken is cooling, dice all of your veggie ingredients and trim the stems off of the baby spinach.
4. One cool, dice the chicken.
5. Spread out each tortilla on a clean work surface (pro tip - play with different tortillas, we have come to really like the spinach
ones but several different types have been good).
6. Spread a Tbsp of cream cheese on each tortilla (pro tip - make sure the cream cheese is close to room temp and softer, less
tortilla tears that way).
7. Lay down a layer of the baby spinach, tomato, onion, avocado and chicken. Be careful not to over stuff but you these should
be significant in mass.
8. Fold the ends of the roll on itself and fold it like a burrito.
9. If serving immediately, slice like a sushi roll and enjoy BUT I HIGHLY RECOMMEND STEP 10
10. After folding the burrito, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and leave in the fridge overnight.
I usually make these ahead and in large batches (like 12 burritos at a time). They sit in the fridge for 4-5 days without getting soggy. They are also great as a party platter and are always popular and one of the first things to go.